St Mary the Virgin/Abbey Church Crossag Road, Balllasalla, IM9 3DB Built in 1897, in the grounds of Rushen Abbey and designed by Ewan Christian, who also designed St Thomas’ Church in Douglas, Marown Parish Church, Christ Church, Laxey and the Chapel of Ease (the Old Schoolhouse) at Cronkbourne. The last important work of his life, was the addition to the National Gallery, London, to form […] Read More
St Mary’s de Ballaugh-Ballaugh Old Church Cronk Road, The Cronk, Ballamona, IM7 5AJ The Church is located on an ancient burial site. Built before the 13th century, it was extended and developed by Thomas Wilson in 1717, in the Baroque style. The Church is easy to recognise, because of its wonky pillars, built in the 1700s. When the population of Ballaugh grew from 350 to 1487 the congregation […] Read More
St Mary’s on the Harbour Arbory Road, Castletown, IM9 1ND The first St Mary’s was converted into the grammar school when Bishop Wilson commissioned a new Chapel of Ease dedicated to St Mary in 1698. The current church was originally built as a school, in 1838. The building became a Parish Hall and was converted to a Church in 1985, when the Garrison Church was […] Read More
St Mary’s Catholic Church-Castletown 24 Bowling Green Road, Castletown, IM9 1EB In 1826, the first post-reformation Catholic Church was built on the Island, by an Irish Jesuit named Father Matthew Gahan and dedicated to St Mary, after the title of the Rushen Abbey of St Mary. This small Church on the outskirts of the Archdiocese was closed down completely for eighteen years between 1895 and 1913, […] Read More
St Matthew the Apostle North Quay, Douglas,, IM1 4LB The original St Matthew’s was built in 1708 by the request of Bishop Wilson to replace the earlier town chapel of 1658. This St. Matthew’s was demolished in 1898 to make way for the Market Hall. The new St Matthew’s,was designed by John Loughborough Pearson and completed in 1902, without a belfry and steeple. The […] Read More
St Michael & All Angels-Michael Parish Church Main Road, Kirk Micheal, IM6 1AB St Michael’s was built in 1835 and was designed by the architect John Welch. The Church is built on the site of an older Treen Church and burial ground, known locally as “Cronk-y-Keilleig”. In 1834, Bishop Ward gave directions to erect the new Church. The clock in the tower was presented to the parish by […] Read More